Businesses across East Devon who would normally pay Business rates and currently receive Small Business Rate Relief (SBRR) or whose business is within the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure sector can now claim a grant from East Devon District Council (EDDC).
The council is currently in the process of identifying local businesses and inviting them to make a claim. In this post we walk you through the information you need, what to expect from the application process and how to make a successful claim.
Before making your claim you should ensure you have the following information to hand:
- Grant Letter
- Latest Business Rates Bill
- Registered Company Number, if unsure this can be found via Companies House
- VAT Registration Number (if applicable)
- Bank Account and Sort Code Details
- Screenshot or PDF of bank statement dated within the last three months which shows the businesses name and bank details as provided for the claim
Access the Business Grants Support Page via https://eastdevon.gov.uk/coronavirus-covid-19/businesses-employers-and-employees/business-grants-support/.
Ensure you read the detailed guidance provided on the claims page to ensure your business is fully eligible to make a claim.
On beginning your claim via the EDDC portal, you will be asked to read and confirm a number of points in relation to eligibility. You will also be asked to enter the bill or account number shown on your latest business rates bill along with the pin provided in the letter received from the council. If these two numbers match, a notification will be shown to confirm the pin is validated.
On the next page you are asked to provide your personal details including your name, contact number and email address.
Moving on, you will be asked to provide business details including:
- the Ratepayer Name, which will be the name of your business
- your Trading Name (if different)
- Companies House Number (registered company number) if a limited company or limited liability partnership
- asked to confirm if you are VAT registered and to provide your VAT registration number
- the businesses address
- a description of what the business does at the premises it is claiming the grant for.
You will then be asked to provide the businesses bank details including the business name as it appears on your bank statement, sort code and account number. To accompany this you will need to provide a screenshot or PDF of bank statement dated within the last three month, and upload this using the box provided. This is to assist with fraud prevention and ensuring the grant is being paid to the business making the claim. For PDFs you will need to install Acrobat via https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/
The final page of the grant claim application is a declaration and checklist. You will need to read and confirm each statement. If you are not sure on any points we would advise you read the FAQ page on the EDDC website before completing your grant application.
On submission of your grant application you will receive a confirmation notice with a claims number. We recommend printing a copy of this page and keeping it with your business rates bill and letter from the council. Pressing continue will return you to the homepage.
On average we are finding claims take 5-7 days to be processed. Once a claim is successful you will receive an email notification to advise the funds are on there way.